Friday, November 30, 2007

How do I write an essay.

Today, I am very happy after I handed in essay because it was the last one. Usually, I always worry about my essay since I want to get B+ in writing class. Now I have some time and I want to summarize my procedures of writing an essay. Before I begin my essay, I will think about structure and supporting ideas for three days and ensure I have enough material to support my main idea. Then, I will do a lot of research to support my ideas. After that, I will begin writing my first draft and reorganize my structure according to the importance of supporting ideas. When I was young, my Chinese teacher told me I could get a good mark on my writing if I paid attention on correcting it. Now I think this principle can apply in English writing as well. So, I will read my essay for twenty times after I finish first draft, and I think it is a good way to get a high academic performance. I will find several mistakes including errors of agreement, tense, number, word order, articles, pronouns and prepositions after I read my essay once. After that, I will correct all of them and read it again and again in order to avoid mistakes. Usually, I cannot realize mistakes immediately, so I will check it after several days because my mind might be changed at that time. Often, I will read my essay many times every two or three days, and I can found somewhere is strange when I am reading it after several days. At the same time, I often found a better way to organize my essay structure during I am reading. Then, I will reorganize my essay structure again and again until I am satisfied on my essay. The most common way correcting my essay is that I always repeat reading and organization. Finally, my final draft is extremely different from the first one.

Also, I often read some articles that I am interested in, and it often provides me some expectable ideas. And those ideas help me a lot on my essay save me a lot of time because they give a direction or field that I need to research in.

I hope you can get some useful information from my experience.

5 comments:

Ghazal said...

I have a same feeling. Relief ha...
The semester is almost over. Ta Ta

maja said...

An essay is definitely lots of work. I have a similar approach. You can save time by revising grammar only after you fixed all the structure and content issues. Because why should you fix a sentence that you're going to skip later on?

Scott Douglas said...

It sounds like some good information!

Ahmed said...

good luck on your final essay.

Julia said...

Good for you, you are certainly a hard working student, your approach is great, I am sure you will succeed!