Monday, October 8, 2007

The experience of last week

Last Friday, I met with my friend Sunny in the cafeteria of the Education Block and discussed how to pronounce the sounds of English more clearly. He told me that the most useful way to practice those sounds is by practicing the rhythm and melody of spoken English. During the time together, I found that speaking English with the wrong rhythm made me hard to say the sound clearly, no matter how much I practice. Besides, the more I practiced with wrong rhythm, the more my mistakes become fixed. After discussion, I asked him teach me how to read words with silent letters because I always made mistakes in reading. Then, I know the consonant letter “b” is silent if it is in final position after “m” or before “t” in final position, such as, bomb, climb, dumb, comb, debt, doubt. Moreover, I know the consonant letter “u” is silent in some words as well, such as, buy, guilty, circuit, biscuit and guarantee. Even though that experience just was a 90 minutes talking and did not help me much in speaking English, it is very important for me in that it let me know how to improve my oral English and how to make the most efficient use of my time when I learn to pronounce English better. I am looking forward to do this activity again because I want to know more speaking skills. Several weeks ago, I was scared of speaking English with others and spoke English without confidence. But now, I do not scared of speaking English any more and I always try to speak more with confidence to practice my intonation. Long time ago, when I am talking with others, I could not understand many words because those words with silent letters. However, I can understand them and it make me very happy. Although studying English is a slow progressive work; I will do more exercise correctly as possible as I can to practice my English.

No comments: